GALLERY: To view images of The Granary – click here.
General Overview – click here.
The Granary is situated in beautiful and peaceful surroundings next to the River Stour yet is within easy walking distance of the town centre and public transport links (bus and railway stations). The train service links with Colchester, Ipswich, Cambridge, Peterborough and London. There is free car parking adjacent to The Granary whilst additional car parking is available in the town only a short walk away. It is only 30 minutes by road from Colchester, Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds.
The ground floor entrance foyer leads out onto the lower decking area where guests can sit and relax in peaceful surroundings by the water and enjoy views of the woodland opposite. The entrance foyer is an ideal area for welcome drinks, displays and buffet spreads.
The first floor function room, The Barratt Room, can accommodate up to 100 guests in total (mixed occupancy) but at present there is no disabled access. The illuminated roof timbers, ash flooring and red brick walls create a warm and pleasant atmosphere that is only enhanced through your choice of decoration. Doors lead out onto the upper veranda which overlooks the lower waterside decking area and the woodland beyond.
The River Stour Trust holds a premises licence for the Granary and in accordance with the Licensing Act 2003 all beers, wines, spirits, ciders and soft drinks dispensed must be supplied by or through the River Stour Trust or our designated contractor who oversee management of the bar and provision of drinks. More information about the bar is provided below.
HIRE CHARGES – you can find out more by clicking on the links below:
- Weddings (approved for civil wedding ceremonies and partnerships, charge applies to any day of the week)
- General Party (for parties, celebrations, etc – hire from 12pm or 4pm, charge applies to any day of the week)
- Hourly (for meetings, seminars, classes, etc – weekdays only and daytime/evening rates)
- Small Social (for small social functions such as baby showers, networking events, etc – applies to Monday-Thursday only)
- Premises License (for the sale and consumption of alcohol and provision of regulated entertainment i.e. live or recorded music and singing, dancing, etc)
- Approved venue for civil marriages and naming ceremonies (seating up to 80 for ceremonies)
- Capacity for up to 100 guests (seating up to 80 for ceremonies, seating up to 70 with tables)
- Bar and/or provision of drinks (drinks supplied by or through the River Stour Trust only- see below)
- Waterside decking and seating area (with lighting for evening use)
- Tables and chairs (set up and cleared away by Granary staff)
- Catering standard stainless steel kitchen (including catering standard Lincat electric 6 hob & fan assited oven, 452 litre
capacity refrigerated counter, hot water boiler, urn, standard kettle and microwave)
- Numerous power-points (electrical items need to be approved as safe for use)
- Sectioned room lighting (illuminated roof timbers and function room lighting split into thirds)
- Gas heating in foyer and function room
- Large ceiling-mounted projection screen (with window blackout boards)
- Wireless internet connection
- Adjacent free car park (shared use, sufficient parking spaces cannot be guaranteed)
- Sound system (CD player and/or connection to music player/laptop/mobile phone via auxiliary cable)
- Cordless lapel microphone (connected to sound system)
- Optional river trips for your guests (click here for more information)
Drinks / Bar Service
The River Stour Trust holds a premises license for the Granary and in accordance with the Licensing Act 2003 all beers, wines, spirits, ciders and soft drinks dispensed there must be supplied by or through the River Stour Trust (or our approved contractor).
No alcohol or non-alcoholic drinks can be brought onto the premises that has not been purchased through the River Stour Trust or our designated contractor. If any drinks are found on the premises then your entire deposit will be forfeited. Please make your guests aware of this policy.
You are welcome to choose your own suppliers for catering, decorating, entertainment, etc and we can recommend suppliers familiar with our venue. See the Services Portfolio below.
USEFUL DOWNLOADS/LINKS – please click on the links below:
- Granary Booking Application Form – download or book online
- The Granary Terms & Conditions of Use – download or view online
- Services Portfolio – download or view online
- Online Granary Hire Payment
- Granary – Restricted Areas, Barratt Room Dimensions & Layout Guidance – click on images below to view/download