Craft Registrations 2022/23

If you want to paddle on many waterways you often need a ‘licence’ to do so. The good news for those registering for use of the River Stour is that you are contributing to the upkeep and maintenance of this beautiful river.

The navigation authority for the Suffolk & Essex River Stour is the Environment Agency and there are a number of ways to register to use the river:

  1. You can become a member of British Canoeing or British Rowing – this covers the member and not the craft (joint/family memberships are available). If you would like to loan your craft to someone else then they also need to be a member or you need to register the craft.
  2. You can register your craft (powered or unpowered, private or business) directly with the Environment Agency (EA) for a specific period within their current season (running between 1 April until 31 Mar the following year):
    • Explorer: up to 15 non consecutive days.
    • Daily: up to 24 consecutive hours from the time of issue, or where issued in advance, valid for 24 hours from date and time requested at application¬†
    • Weekly: between 1-7 consecutive days
    • Monthly: between 1-31 consecutive days
    • Annual: please note this will expire on 31 March regardless of the purchase date.
  3. The River Stour Trust can process applications for EA daily, weekly, monthly and annual craft registrations for private and unpowered craft online, by post and in person. We also sell copies of the Suffolk & Essex River Stour Navigation Guide.

Click here for more information on all these options.

Comments are closed.