SATURDAY 6 AUGUST 2022 at Bures
This event is held annually usually on the first Saturday in August on the river (12pm-4pm) besides Bures Recreation Ground (click here for link to Google Maps). This event has a fancy name but is in fact a FREE, low-key, laid back, fun afternoon.
Organised by coracle owners with support from the River Stour Trust to offer everyone an opportunity to try to handle one of these unusual craft. People of all ages can have a go and some get wet! Life jackets are available and there are safety boats on hand.
The ‘coraclers’ not only share their craft but spend time explaining the best way of moving along the river. If you own a coracle but would prefer not to share it just bring it along and join in the fun.
Spectators are kept entertained throughout the afternoon by watching people of all ages enjoy their go on a coracle. If there are enough coraclers willing and able then we shall run races such as the ‘Poachers Run’.
JOIN THE EVENT TEAM! We rely on volunteers to make this event happen! Perhaps you can get involved? Below are the voluntary roles for this event:
– Safety boat (competent paddler with their own craft to act as on-water assistance to those who exit their coracle in the water!)
– Safety first aid (land based trained first aider)
– ‘Have a go’ coracle volunteer on the jetty (to provide lifejacket, introduce ‘buddy’, help boarding and disembarking coracle)
– ‘Have a go’ coracle buddy – (to provide on water guidance on coracle paddling)
– Refreshments stall (basic tea, coffee, squash – perhaps some basic snack items)
– RST sales items stall (could merge with refreshment stall)
– Announcer and/or Race Commentator (perhaps a consideration if we have someone who feels up to the job!)
More information: email@example.com