The Environment Agency takes enforcement action if it finds any boat moored or in use if it is not displaying a current, valid registration plate. All boats kept, used or let for hire on the river must be registered.
If you have a boat and you keep it afloat and/or use it on the Anglian waterways, you need to register it, even if you do not use it. Anglian waterways cover the River Great Ouse System, River Nene, River Stour, River Ancholme, Black Sluice, River Welland and River Glen. These requirements extend to boats kept on any part of our Anglian waterways including backwaters and marinas.
The River Stour Trust can issue craft registrations for unpowered and manually propelled private craft on behalf of the Environment Agency. This tariff applies to unpowered vessels only, for example, canoes, kayaks and rowing boats and covers you for all Environment Agency waterways (not just the Anglian waterways) for the period chosen.
The River Stour Trust cannot deal with craft registrations for powered (even if only occassionally), houseboats, sailing boats, ‘commercial’ or any vessels available for let or hire. In the above instances, please instead contact the Environment Agency Boat Registration Team directly on 03708 506 506 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If your craft has an auxillary engine then it needs to be registered under the appropriate powered tariff which cannot be administered by the River Stour Trust.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR YOUR CRAFT REGISTRATION
The River Stour Trust will process craft registration applications as quickly as possible but it is advisable to contact us to check whether we can process your application by a certain time.
Our office is only staffed on weekdays (core hours are usually 10am-4pm). You can arrange to collect your registration disc in person or it can be sent in the post. We no longer issue discs for the 7 day registrations and electronic proof of payment will suffice in all cases should you not receive your receipt/disc before your trip.
2017/18 Tariff – Unpowered Craft
Please note: An additional minimum £1 admin fee applies to each order and is referenced as a ‘Shipping’ cost in your shopping cart.
- £8.50 – short term/visitor registration (up to 7 consecutive days, unlimited issues)
- £16.00 – short term/visitor registration (up to 31 consecutive days, 3 maximum per season 1 Apr-31 Mar after which only an annual registration can be issued)
- £35.50 – annual registration (excluding houseboats and sailing boats, valid 1st April-31 March)
- £12.50 – Purchase a Navigation Key (outright purchase for current annual craft registration holders only with proof required, operates/gains access to EA locks and faciliities, such as slipways and pump-outs, so is therefore not generally required for canoeists/kayakers, price includes Royal Mail Signed For delivery)
- £27.50 – Loan a Navigation Key (refundable deposit upon return of key, operates/gains access to EA locks and faciliities, such as slipways and pump-outs, so is therefore not generally required for canoeists/kayakers, price includes Royal Mail Signed For delivery)
The Environment Agency has agreements with certain organisations for ‘block’ registrations for their members to any EA Waterway in the the country without having to register directly with the EA. There are often additional benefits to joining these organisations, such as free insurance, access to more navigations, etc. Membership to these organisations covers the member and not the craft. If you would like to loan your craft to someone else then they also need to be a member or you need to register the craft.
For more information about joining these organisation, please click on the links below.
- British Canoeing 0845 370 9506 www.britishcanoeing.org.uk
- Waterways included in British Canoeing membership – click here
- British Rowing 020 8237 6700 www.britishrowing.org