The Environment Agency takes enforcement action if it finds any boat moored or in use if it is not displaying a current, valid registration plate. All boats kept, used or let for hire on the river must be registered. The registration period is 1 April-31 March.
If you have a boat and you keep it afloat and/or use it on the Anglian waterways, you need to register it, even if you do not use it. Anglian waterways cover the River Great Ouse System, River Nene, River Stour, River Ancholme, Black Sluice, River Welland and River Glen. These requirements extend to boats kept on any part of our Anglian waterways including backwaters and marinas.
The River Stour Trust can issue craft registrations for unpowered and manually propelled private craft on behalf of the Environment Agency. This tariff applies to unpowered vessels only, for example, canoes, kayaks and rowing boats and covers you for all Environment Agency waterways (not just the Anglian waterways) for the period chosen.
The River Stour Trust cannot deal with craft registrations for powered (even if only occasionally), houseboats, sailing boats, ‘commercial’ or any vessels available for let or hire. In the above instances, please instead contact the Environment Agency Boat Registration Team directly on 03708 506 506 or email email@example.com. If your craft has an auxiliary engine then it needs to be registered under the appropriate powered tariff which cannot be administered by the River Stour Trust.
CLICK HERE TO COMMENCE CRAFT REGISTRATION APPLICATION
TAKING PART IN OUR SUDBURY TO THE SEA EVENT? PLEASE CLICK HERE TO BOOK IN CORRECTLY!
The River Stour Trust will process craft registration applications as quickly as possible but it is advisable to contact us to check whether we can process your application by a certain time.
Our office is usually staffed on weekdays (core hours 10am-4pm). You can arrange to collect your registration disc and receipt in person or it can be sent in the post. Discs are no longer issued for the weekly registrations but electronic proof of payment will suffice in all cases should you not receive your receipt/disc before your trip.
2019/20 TARIFF – UNPOWERED PRIVATE CRAFT (1 APRIL 2019 – 31 MARCH 2020)
An additional minimum £1.50 admin fee applies to each order and is referenced as a ‘Shipping’ cost in your shopping cart.
- £9.10 – 2019/20 Unpowered Weekly Registration
- Fee is per private craft, up to 7 consecutive days, unlimited issues during season between 1 April 2019-31 March 2020
- £18.50 – 2019/20 Unpowered Monthly Registration
- Fee is per private craft, up to 31 consecutive days, 3 maximum per season 1 April 2019-31 March 2020 after which only an annual registration can be issued
- £41.10 – 2019/20 Annual Unpowered Craft Registration
- Fee is per private craft, excludes houseboats and sailing boats, valid 1st April 2019-31 March 2020
USEFUL OPTIONAL EXTRAS
- FREE – ‘Enjoying Safer Boating’
- available as download only, a guide about staying safe on Anglian Waterways, produced by the Environment Agency – click here
- £3.50 – River Stour Navigation Guide
- an indispensable guide printed on damp proof paper with map of the entire navigable route, details and locations of the portages, launching sites, riverside campsite and contact information for relevant organisations)
- £18.00 – Navigation Key Purchase
- outright purchase for current annual craft registration holders only with proof required, operates/gains access to EA locks and facilities, such as slipways and pump-outs, so is therefore not generally required for canoeists/kayakers. price includes Royal Mail Signed For delivery
- £28.00 – Navigation Key Loan
- a fully refundable deposit on return of the key, for short-term/visitor registration applications. Price includes Royal Mail Signed For delivery